Monday, April 16, 2012
We just moved into a new apartment, and it had a couple of issues. The tiny bathroom floor was pretty gross, and over a couple of days it began to reveal an ant problem. So today I was stuck inside waiting for the specialists to come in and take care of things.
The exterminator came first and sprayed the areas where the ants were coming from, followed soon after by three hispanic men that I could barely understand but believed to be the guys that would replace the bathroom flooring.
The one had the nerve to tell me that the old flooring was still good...I guess if you are okay with yellow staining, gashes, and ant colonies it was still good. Didn't they want to get paid? They were then followed by the maintenance man who came to see that they did the job right.
Since I was stuck inside all day to wait for everybody, I decided to whip up something healthy for Eric for when he got home. And, of course, I wanted to enjoy it as well, so I adapted a quick bread recipe to be dairy free. I happened to have orange juice and cranberries on hand, so I made a super healthy whole grain orange-cranberry bread with Very Vanilla Soymilk.
It's pretty easy to put together but requires some whole grain ingredients like whole wheat flour and fiber rich wheat bran. Not everyone is likely to have these ingredients in their cupboards but they are good to keep around. It's cooking right now and smells delicious.
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat bran
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup Silk Very Vanilla Soymilk
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, Very Vanilla Soymilk, orange juice, and oil.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flours, wheat bran, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add dry mixture into wet until just combined, then stir in cranberries.
5. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before removing.
6. Serve warm for your sweetheart ;-)