1lb. extra lean ground beef or turkey
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1 small zucchini or carrot, grated
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup quick cook or regular oats
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 Heinz Ketchup
1 tablespoon Frank's Hot Sauce, plus a little extra for brushing.
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large saucepan, melt Smart Balance over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, salt and pepper and cook for at least two minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic and cook for thirty seconds. Stir in Worcestershire Sauce, oregano, ketchup, and Frank's until well combined. Cook for one more minute.
3. In a large bowl, combine ground meat, eggs, oats, wheat germ, and cooked veggie mixture. Mix well. It's easier to use your hands.
4. Form mixture into a lightly oiled nonstick loaf pan. Brush the top with a thin layer of Frank's Hot Sauce.
5. Bake meatloaf 50-60 minutes. Goes great with roasted potatoes!